Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Did You Know? The Name of John Paul II

Many people know that St. John Paul II took the name of his predecessor John Paul I, but do you know the origin of the name “John Paul” or why the two Popes took the name?

St. John Paul II explained his intentions in his first encyclical:

I chose the same names that were chosen by my beloved Predecessor John Paul I. Indeed, as soon as he announced to the Sacred College on 26 August 1978 that he wished to be called John Paul—such a double name being unprecedented in the history of the Papacy—I saw in it a clear presage of grace for the new pontificate. Since that pontificate lasted barely 33 days, it falls to me not only to continue it but in a certain sense to take it up again at the same starting point. This is confirmed by my choice of these two names. By following the example of my venerable Predecessor in choosing them, I wish like him to express my love for the unique inheritance left to the Church by Popes John XXIII and Paul VI and my personal readiness to develop that inheritance with God's help.

Through these two names and two pontificates I am linked with the whole tradition of the Apostolic See and with all my Predecessors in the expanse of the twentieth century and of the preceding centuries. I am connected, through one after another of the various ages back to the most remote, with the line of the mission and ministry that confers on Peter's See an altogether special place in the Church. John XXIII and Paul VI are a stage to which I wish to refer directly as a threshold from which I intend to continue, in a certain sense together with John Paul I, into the future, letting myself be guided by unlimited trust in and obedience to the Spirit that Christ promised and sent to his Church.

St. John Paul II took on the names of these three predecessors, and he carried their legacies on into the twenty-first century. May he pray for the Church now, that She moves forward in obedience to the Holy Spirit.

St. John Paul II, Pray for Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment